I love these silk bamboo curtains!
A few years ago during one of their crazy clearance sales, Bed Bath & Beyond had these beautiful curtains on sale for $5 a panel, from the normal $40 a panel. So I bought 4 panels. Most recently I used them on the sliding glass door at my last apartment. My dog Marley chewed up the apartment’s vertical blinds so I had to take them down and put up curtains. The curtains looked great for a while until Marley destroyed those too…
|These have seen better days…|
Yes they look sad, but I haven’t had the heart to throw them out because A) They were expensive (well, before the clearance), and B) I genuinely like them. They go with my tropical decor style, they let some light in the room, and the texture is unique. But now, in addition to looking ratty, they also don’t fit my huge window which is around 9 feet tall. This is the last window in the house that doesn’t have a covering because it has taken me the last year to make a decision. But given that I am tired of having to worry about being appropriately dressed to walk to the fridge, it was finally time to make that decision.
|Here the is the window. The wall is beige…before I painted it brown.|
I didn’t want to just do blinds because the window is an awkward size (thank you rounded top) and they are expensive when you start getting that long. So I would need 108″ curtains to cover this window which are pricey and can be difficult to find. Not to mention that I haven’t seen any normal length curtains I liked at all recently anyway.
So I decided to do a curtain makeover on my beloved bamboo silk curtains!
I just painted the window wall a couple of weeks ago with a brown accent color which happened to have a tinge of green in it. So for fabric, I chose two 1.5 yard pieces I got on clearance at Garden Ridge for $4 each. The fabric was a heavy home-dec weight fabric with a thick weave and I knew it would look awesome with the bamboo curtains and the accent wall color.
|I really like this brown and green…the colors felt kind of tropical|
|What the curtains looked like when I started.
Note the new wall color
Then I cut 6 inches of green fabric and sew it to the bottom. I encountered 2 problems here:
1) the 6 inch band was small and looked weird
2) I didn’t have enough brown fabric to accomplish what I needed (I had only 1.5 yards instead of 2)
After brief contemplation, I came up with a new plan:
|Still need to get those wrinkles out…|
|View from the ground that shows the whole length:|
|Detail at the top|
|What they look like during the day…letting in a little light|
|A wide shot of my “still in progress” kitchen|
|Look on the right, there is the bulletin board I made the other day!
Looks great with my new curtains!