PINTEREST PROJECT: DIY LAUNDRY DETERGENT

This year I, like many others, am looking to trim my budget on household supplies. After seeing people all over Pinterest making their own laundry detergent, I decided to try it out. I did some research and went with the formula by Abby at Sew Much Ado. I went with a solid soap rather a liquid purely because it is less messy and faster to make. Since I always dissolve the soap in my washer first before I put clothes in, I don’t see why I should bother making the liquid version.

What you need for 1 batch of laundry soap:

1 bar Fels-Naptha heavy duty laundry soap
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1/4 cup Baking Soda

I found all of this at both Walmart and Kroger. Walmart was slightly cheaper of course. The Borax and Washing Soda were around $3-4 each, the Baking Soda was around $2, and one bar of Fels-Naptha was about $1. You can actually experiment with other types of bar soap but the laundry soap is supposed to work the best. There is also another laundry soap called Zote (it’s pink) that others have used but I haven’t tried it out yet. Other people have used Ivory and Dove.

I ended up making 3 batches of detergent and put them in a 1 gallon glass jar I got from Walmart. So my total was $5 for the jar and $12 for the detergent supplies…not bad! Plus I could easily make 5 more batches for only $5 more…all I need is so more of the bar soap. Using only 2 Tbs a load, that should last me quite a while! The process was simple: I graded the Fels-Naptha and then put it in my magic bullet blender (like Abby did) to make the pieces of Fels-Naptha smaller. Then I mixed in all the other ingredients. If you want more info, you can check out Abby’s post.

This is also my first project with vinyl! I make lots of stencils with Contact Paper but my pack of brown vinyl has just been sitting here for the longest time so I decided to put it to good use and make a label. I cut out the letters with my Cricut and after a few mishaps, I finally got it right! Those tiny letters were kind of difficult. I don’t think I will be trying to cut such little words again.

It fits nicely on my laundry shelf!

The smell is nice an mild which I like. I used it on several loads of clothes already and it seems to be working great. I don’t have kids so I don’t have super messy laundry though. Some others formulas incorporated OyxClean type boosters in it so you might want to do a little research. Laurie @ Being Creative to Keep My Sanity also has a lot of information on her Homemade Laundry Soap Post. She also has info on H/E washers (read the comments to her post too). Supposedly you can use the solid kind by adding it into the barrel instead of the dispenser. There are also lots of people on Pinterest making the liquid and using it in their H/E washers. It’s not as sudsy as store bought soap so it’s supposed to be OK.

My friend Kelly mentioned a few weeks ago that she wanted to make her own detergent too so I gave her some samples and she was super excited! I also mentioned to a couple other friends and they want to try it out also. Barring any unforeseen issues, I can say that I won’t be buying laundry detergent anymore! I’m curious to see how long these 3 batches last. I’ll let you know when I run out! Next on my list to DIY is dishwasher detergent after I run out of the little bit of Cascade I have left. I already have all the stuff ready to make some! I’ll post it when I do.

Until later, happy DIY’ing!

Pin It

I’m linking up to these parties:

Saturday: Be Different Act Normal; Sunday: I Heart NaptimeHomemaker on a DimeMonday: Craft-O-ManiacSkip to My LouHome Stories A2ZTuesday: Tip JunkieToday’s Creative BlogA Diamond in the StuffWednesday: Sew Much AdoIt’s OverflowingThursday: House of HepworthsMy Repurposed LifeFriday: Tatertots and JelloRemodelaholic504 Main;

9 Responses to “PINTEREST PROJECT: DIY LAUNDRY DETERGENT”

1. Rickey Haury says:

It’s a lot of fun to get and give an assortment of gifts items and it’s a good way to ensure that everyone is included in the family during the happy occasion. It’s especially good to remember any other little brothers or sisters in the family, who may perhaps and probably feel somewhat left out by all the fuss over the new baby.’

The latest article produced by our blog site
    <'http://www.caramoantourpackage.com/caramoan-tour-package/

2. Kay Long says:

I use one BOX of Borax. One BOX of the Washing Soda. One Box of the baking soda and EITHER THREE bars of fels naptha grated OR grate ONE bar of ZOTE. Mix well, keep in air tight container like tupperware. I’ve been using it for months – no residue – no problems – just saved a lot of $$$.

3. Christina Rossetti says:

I have been using it for a while now and I have to add… it leaves a sort of white residue on the washer and I think on the clothes.. hmmm maybe I should try different soaps, but I stopped using it just because of that. Have you guys gotten anything similar to this? If so, did you switch and experiment on different soaps, I am curious to see what other options I have because it is truly a very good money saver! Thanks.

CR

• Jamie says:

That is so weird, I haven’t found that problem at all! I bought some zote but I haven’t tried it out yet. I made some detergent for the dishwasher and I had the same problem with the residue but not the laundry detergent. I will ask around and see if anyone else is having this problem.

4. rebekah says:

Thanks so much for stopping by my site! It’s funny how many of us have our own take on this recipe-so similar, yet a little different. I love the way the ZOTE soap smells, that’s why I went that direction. I may have to try your Fels-Naptha just for a change up soon!
    Ps-Following you now, too!
    Rebekah-www.potholesandpantyhose.com

5. Tricia says:

I am going out to buy the ingredients for this today!

6. I so want to try this. I have front loaders and issues so i need to research a bit more for what might be best! I love your label! How do you dissolve your detg. First? Probably a dumb question, ha! Do you just mix in a little cup or something with hot water then add to your load?

7. Jamie,
    I saw this on the Creative Blog Hop and love the idea! Going to have to share this on my living natural website Naked Moxie! Fits nicely.. Thank you (oh and I am going to make it for my home too since the organic kind is pretty pricey)..~Dr. Lisa

8. I’ve seen this too, and totally think I need to try it! Makes so much sense! Your presentation is AWESOME! I’d love to have you share this at my Wednesday Linky Party, Overflowing with Creativity and ItsOverflowing.com!!! I’m so excited to be inspired by you in 2012, SERIOUSLY love your blog and your great photography!!! I’m your newest follower and would love to have you return the “love” when you stop by on your next visit!!!

XO, Aimee

PS Where did you find the instructions to add your PERFECT social links to your blog!??! I want to copycat you really badly!!!